Attend a Discover Antioch Midwest Information Session
This program is designed to provide currently licensed Ohio teachers the necessary knowledge and skills required to obtain a Second License in Special Education: Mild to Moderate Intervention Specialist (K-12). This program will allow licensed teachers to expand their previous classroom experience to work with students who have specialized needs in mild to moderate disability categories, such as Specific Learning Disabilities, Intellectual Disabilities, Asperger Syndrome, and Emotional or Behavioral Disorders.
Coursework will be tailored for licensed teachers to expand their current planning, teaching, and managing skills to special education settings that are inclusive, pull-out, or self-contained.
- 1 year (2 semesters) for program completion (for candidates who meet Ohio Reading Core requirements)
- No additional student teaching required. Candidates will complete focused field observations connected to coursework and a practicum experience.
- Classes held in the evenings, twice a week, so teachers can continue to work in their current classrooms
- Cohort model with currently licensed teachers only
All candidates for Second Licensure must hold a current and valid Ohio License. Additionally, candidates must have taken the required components of the Ohio Reading Core as a part of their initial license coursework. For candidates who have not completed this coursework, a transcript evaluation will determine which additional reading classes must be completed prior to license recommendation. Candidates can take reading courses in the summer before or after they complete their special education coursework.
8 courses – 24 credits *
- EDS5010 Foundations of Special Education (3 cr)
- EDS5020 Development of Exceptional Learners (3 cr)
- EDS5110 Ethics and Legal Issues in Special Education (3 cr)
- EDS5120 Learning Environments and Social Interaction (3 cr)
- EDS5210 Assessment and Placement in Special Education (3 cr)
- EDS5270 Augmentative and Alternative Communication (3 cr)
- EDS5440 Integrated Instructional Methods (3 cr)
- EDU6500 Second License Practicum (3 cr)
* Additional Reading Courses may be required:
- RLE5150 Foundations for Reading Instruction (3 cr)
- RLE5250 Phonics (3 cr)
- RLE5350 Reading Assessment (3 cr)
- RLE5450 Content Literacy (3 cr)