FERPA (Student Privacy Rights) and Directory Information Policy

Antioch University Midwest affirms its commitment to adhere to the guidelines of this federal policy. This act gives students certain rights with respect to their educational records. They are:

  • The right to inspect and review their education records
  • The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights.
  • The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifies except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent (example-directory information)
  • The right to secure a copy of the school’s student records policy from the Student & Alumni Services Division.
  • The right to file complaints with the Department of Education concerning alleged failures by institutions to comply with the act.

At its discretion, Antioch University Midwest may release public or directory information in accordance with the provisions of FERPA. Students who wish directory information to be withheld must inform the Registrar’s Office in writing.

Antioch University defines directory information as information contained in an education record of a student that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Directory information includes, but is not limited to: the student’s name; address; telephone listing; electronic mail address; photographs; date and place of birth; major field of study; grade level; enrollment status; dates of attendance; participation in officially recognized activities; degrees, honors and awards received; and the most recent educational agency or institution attended.

Requests for non-disclosure of public or directory information will be honored for the current academic year; therefore, authorization to withhold public or directory information must be filed annually with the Registrar.

Note: Your name will not be published in the commencement program if you request nondisclosure during the academic year of your graduation.