BA in Liberal Studies, Creative Writing and Literature concentration
As a Creative Writing major, you can transform a passion for writing into a career. Countless writers have!
Creative writing permeates our lives as we read magazines, newspapers, and books both in traditional print and online. Accurately expressing thoughts, motivations, ideas and dreams through creative writing is critical to success in many fields. Our liberal studies degree with a creative writing concentration will help you achieve that success.
In our program, you’ll take a close and critical look at some of the best work in multiple genres from across the ages while honing your own writing skills. You’ll become proficient in disciplined writing practices and master communication and organizational strategies to transform creative self expression into marketable skills.
This concentration in creative writing and literature aims to prepare aspiring writers through five main objectives.
- Evaluate and apply the craft of writing in multiple genres. Students will explore literary expression in order to achieve greater proficiency in their own craft as writers.
- Examine and apply the craft of close reading of literature. Students will cultivate their ability to examine the craft of other writers (both historical and contemporary), looking at formal elements of the work, including language, character, story, theme, rhythm, and tone.
- Examine and analyze the impact that creative writing has in our world.
- Evaluate and articulate the foundational skills of a professional writer. Students will constructively comment on the work of other writers in one or more creative literary forms (poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction), participate in a writing community, and apply best practices of editing, revision techniques, and grammar.
- Create and write with proficiency in one or more creative literary forms (poetry, fiction, and/or creative non-fiction). Students will produce written work using the process approach of discovering material, creating the appropriate form according to the intended effect on the target audience, and revising as necessary.
Degree Requirements & Course Descriptions
To earn a Bachelor’s degree at Antioch University Midwest, students will have a combination of transfer credits and required Antioch University Midwest credits totaling 120 credits.
Antioch Core Courses
Creative Writing & Literature Concentration
Total 45 Credits
Important Notice: This is not an official Degree Audit tool. This is merely a sample of the most recent degree offerings. Students should confer with their academic advisor regarding their degree requirements.
Application DeadlineS 2016
Apply before the deadline and we will waive your application fee
|Semester||Application Deadlines||Classes Begin|
|Spring 2017||January 3, 2016||January 7, 2017|
|Spring 2017 "B Session"||February 28, 2017||March 4, 2017|
We will continue to process the complete applications received after the deadline however, we cannot guarantee an admission decision will be reached in time to begin the desired term.
Please contact the Office of Admissions for more information at 937-769-1818 or email@example.com.